Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Garden 2010




Yep, trying it again - what's this year 6?
I'm once again taking it one step farther...more seeds!
N helped make a tray of veggies - everything from beans to melons! T helped make two trays of flowers.

A few things I learned so far in my seed planting experience:
- those bio peet pots are for the birds...nope never mind that birds won't even touch them.
they don't disintegrate like they say they do -- I'm still digging up stuff from last year!
- yogurt containers work wonderfully...thinking it has more to do with the moisture staying in, I personally love using the kids yogurt containers - since we have tons of those!
- seed trays are now my absolute fav!! - the covers make them into mini green houses....how brilliant is that? To think it took nearly 6 years for me to figure this out! lol
- OH but if you don't have the seed trays - just put plastic over the yogurt containers...waalaa.
- Because the seed trays works so wonderfully -- I don't have to plant the seeds so early. (I usually start in mid-march and plant outside mid-may) -- but in April all my seeds - yes ALL - were ready for the outdoors!




Our backyard faces the west - the nice Hot Sun! Half of my garden has always been flowers, the other side was veggies. I loosely call this a garden because it's a two feet wide patch the entire length of the house - something you'd put bushes into.

Speaking of Bushes - those nasty horrible overgrown pieces of...well.
I have hated ours for yes, 6 years. This year, putting my foot down, on a shovel and diggin them UP and OUT.
And making the entire length of the house garden plot - Flowers!

This week I planted the Gladiolas in the far north/west corner - lovely ground, lots of worms! Eight of them, looking forward to see what happens - never planted bulbs before!
I purchased a few perennials to replace those horrible bushes! -- N and I picked out a cute one called Strawberry -- truly thinking the name meant the "color" - because they were sold with flowers....but alas you guessed right - they are strawberries...another new addition.

The goal - and I really say that loosely because goals are never really finished around here - is to plant a 3x8 garden patch in the far north/west corner of the yard. All the veggies will go in there! - I can't wait to actually do this properly -- I'm hoping my laziness doesn't get the best of me, nor the bunnies.

No comments: