Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Anxiety

Had a discussion with my oldest today. It's his week to be line leader...but that also means he has to be the one to take up the offering during Chapel...Today.
So he goes on to tell me that he hates it, and always asks one of his friends to do it. He also goes on to say, he wants to change schools because, other schools don't collect for offering.
Ahhhh, little light bulbs are going off in my head.....

So I ask him a series of questions:
"How come you can go up to the front, and celebrate Baptism time?"
>"Cuz' we only go up the front, not the way back"
"How come you can go up to the front, and sing in front of the entire church?"
>"Mom (whine here) cuz I don't sing up in the back of the stage, only in the front?"
"Well what's in the back of the stage? A boogieman?"
>"No it's just the back"
"Have you ever gone up?"
>"No"
"And everyone else does, including Kindergarteners?"
>"Yeah - but I'm not going to"
"So what if I gave you a candy bar tonight - a big one all to yourself?"
>"No" -- (that surprised me)
"So what if we went to Chucky Cheese, tonight?"
>"No" -- (that REALLY surprised me)
...he has some serious Anxiety Issues!!

We continue in this little banter, back and forth. I guess I'm trying to get him
to give up the "reason" why he has anxiety.
Mine of course is the fact that others will make fun of me - that's why I never went up in the front. I've tried off and on in my life to conquer this fear - but alas the fear is still there.

How do I help him??

No comments: